Trees continue to come down every day and, as journalist Rob Shultz put it, “Nobody … likes the ashes-to-ashes, chips-to-chips formula” of tree removals. Wisconsin Urban Wood is changing that formula, turning dead trees into wood goods of enduring value through its network of quality partners and products.
Thanks to supporting partners and collaborators, WUW looked something like this in 2016 alone.
- Received the Urban Forestry Council Innovations award
- Became a WI DNR Green Tier Charter member
- Hosted the fourth annual Urban Forest Fest at Lynden Sculpture Garden, Milwaukee WI
- Hosted a Kiln Workshop with DNR Forest Product Services
- Published 17 articles
- Presented to six major groups
- Tabled five events
- Created two additional models for urban wood utilization
- Fielded calls from municipalities in 5 different states
- Gave multiple interviews for television and printed media
- Answered hundreds of public inquiries
- Developed a second generation website and forum
- Implemented a CMS with mapping capabilities
- Designed and printed professional stationary
- Performed 7 grants to develop outreach, investigate potential certification, build industry awareness, create a digital urban wood sample page, and develop and document municipal models (USFS [SRI], WI DNR, WEEB)
- Managed day to day administrative details
- Received nearly 100% partner renewals
- Grew by five outstanding new partners in the summer and fall
- Managed a partnership of 34 independent businesses and organizations that …
- Preserved 100’s of thousands of board feet of lumber for the highest and best uses
And that isn’t counting all of the things partners and advocates have done to promote WUW and play a part in state and local networks.
With your help, 2017 will look a lot like this:
- Inreach: Hearing from & supporting you, your work and what we’re doing together for urban wood.
- Capacity building: Making structural improvements that will keep us strong.
- Outreach: Building our brand through modest media events in each of our four areas giving the public opportunities to meet you and understand what you/we do and why.
Here’s to 2017